Steps to Setting up Recycling for your Business or Office
- What supplies are purchased by the business?
- Review purchase receipts
- What is thrown away?
- Review waste removal services and receipts
- What items are accepted at the VCRS recycling center?
- How can you “Reduce” & “Reuse” items?
- What will you recycle?
- Look at the building floor plan – identify space for containers & storage.
- Decide on type of recycling bins
- How will you handle larger items such as corrugated cardboard?
- Build a team of recycler’s
- How will recyclables be transported, how often?
- Enlist employees who may be experienced recyclers to educate your staff
- Post signs about the recycling program & benefits of recycling
- Identify recycling bins and label them clearly
- Check the web and VCRS for recycling information
Practice – Recycle it!
- Separate recyclables from waste products
- Place recyclables in clearly marked recycle bins
- Sort, bundle, remove caps from plastic bottles, etcetera
- Make recycling a standard office procedure through policy
- Encourage reducing: Make double-side copies
- Communicate electronically
- Resist the urge to print emails
- Circulate and post memorandums
- Purchase wisely: Encourage purchase of products containing recycled materials.
- Buy in bulk when you can
- Take recyclables to your community recycling center
- Conserve fuel – haul recyclables only when containers are full or combine with other trips
- Seek other small businesses to combine recycling efforts
See also ‘Recycling Guide for the Home‘.